It all started yesterday when Cayel woke up from his nap with rosy cheeks. All I had to do was take one look at him to know he was running a temp . . . sure enough, 102 degrees. I thought for sure he would be down for the count the rest of the night but instead, he ran around the house playing and giggling, he ate a huge supper, drank lots of fluid and went to bed without complaining of any aches and pains (even though the fever was still lingering). Hopeful that it was a "fluke," I went to bed, only to be woken up by the sound of Josh profusely vomiting. This continued every 15 minutes from midnight on . . .
So this morning Doctor Mom kicked in! I bleached both bathrooms and every door handle and light switch in the house. I washed bedding, sprayed OUST, changed garbage bags and emptied vomit filled buckets. I took temperatures (Cayel continued to run a 101 degree temp through the night and throughout the day), gave medication, pushed fluids and made phone calls to physicians. All I can say is thank goodness it was 50 degrees here today so I could have the windows and doors open.
All morning I listened to Cayel run around the house playing and giggling wondering why in the heck he had a fever - no vomiting, no diarrhea, no coughing, no runny nose, sleeping fine, eating fine, drinking fine. If he was a baby, I would blame it on teeth but he got his 2-year molars a year ago so no more teeth due to come in for a few more years. Hmmmmm . . . he had me stumped. While I pondered Cayel's "illness" I heard Josh grunting and moaning in between trips to the bathroom.
By noon I had Cayel fed and down for a nap, Grandma Linda at the house babysitting and Josh in the car driving him to the Emergency Room. The poor thing held a bucket in his lap and moaned the entire car ride - he looked like death. After 3 hours in the Emergency Room, an IV with 2 bags of fluids, an X-Ray, blood work and a urine sample - it was determined that he had a bad case of the flu. Thankfully it was nothing severe and they sent us home.
As I write this, the house is quiet . . . Cayel is bathed and sound asleep (I'm still so boggled by his temp that I didn't even bother checking it tonight), the house smells like a combination of bleach, pine sol and OUST (not so pleasant, but clean) and I was finally able to get Josh off the couch to take a shower, brush his teeth and eat some chicken noodle soup.
My day as Doctor Mom is officially over - bed, here I come (let's just pray I don't get the flu) . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment