Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A year ago today . . .

Today is April 15th, exactly one year, from one of the hardest days in our life . . . the day that we received the phone call about Cayel's tragic accident. I have spent a little time this past week revisiting Cayel's Caring Bridge site (www.caringbridge.org/visit/cayelholmgren) rereading the updates that I posted during his time in the hospital but mostly rereading the wonderful messages, encouraging words and prayers that each one of you posted.

I have been anticipating today, wondering how I would feel or how it would affect me, it's all psychological, I know - but none the less, I wondered. And here I am . . . I woke up this morning with the song, "Today Is The Day" by Lincoln Brewster in my head. Although I love the song, I wondered why before I even opened my eyes and climbed out of bed, I was reciting this song? That's right, I had forgotten what today was - not really forgotten (being I had just prayed about it and praised God for his blessings not more than 7 hours prior) but for whatever reason, it wasn't until I was driving Cayel to daycare this morning that I looked in the rear view mirror at that precious little boy wearing his sunglasses upside down, looking out the window with a smile on his face, singing "Jesus Loves Me," that I remembered! I had wondered how I would feel? At that second it hit me like a ton of bricks! Yes, I could have let myself go back to those feelings of worry, fear, anxiety, anger, sadness that I felt a year ago, but instead, tears of joy streamed down my face as I sang (quite literally sang) praises to God! Now I got it! Now I know why that song (Today Is The Day) was in my head . . .

I'm casing my cares aside
I'm leaving my past behind
I'm setting my heart and mind on You Jesus

I'm reaching my hand to Yours
Believing there's so much more
Knowing that all You have in store for me is good
Is good

Today is the day You have made
I will rejoice and be glad in it
Today is the day You have made
I will rejoice and be glad in it
And I won't worry about tomorrow
I'm trusting in what You say
Today is the day


And if you look at the front page of our blog you will see the verse
This is the day in which the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
Coincidence? I'm not so sure? Today is exactly that, a day in which the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it!

A year ago today, I received that dreaded phone call at work that Cayel had been in a bicycle accident. Two hours later I received a phone call from the Emergency Room Physician at the Denver Children's Hospital that Cayel had just arrived by ambulance and was being taken into surgery to repair a severe compact skull fracture, hemorrhaging of the brain and brain injury. One hour later Josh and I were in the car making the long (very long) drive through "no mans land" Wyoming. 7 hours later we arrived in the parking lot of the Children's Hospital. 10 days later we were discharged from the hospital and on our way back home to Spearfish, South Dakota. And today . . . Cayel is God's miracle! We were told there were no guarantees when he went into surgery, God brought him out. We were told that he may suffer from seizures for the rest of his life, God seized them. We were told he may never have full mobility of his left side, God gave him the strength and determination to walk and even run. We were told he may have emotional or behavioral problems, God has made him the happiest little 3 year old imaginable. Cayel is free! Free from medication, free from MRI's, free from Physical Therapy, free from Doctor visits, he is fully and completely free - all because the Lord has a very special plan for him!

Today we praise our loving and faithful Father! We praise Him for the strength and love He provided us during those difficult hours and days of the unknown. We thank Him for the guidance and direction for the months that laid ahead. We praise Him for His healing miracles in Cayel. And we praise Him for all of the wonderful people He put in our lives to support us, encourage us and love us!



Today is a day in which the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Amen:-)

Amber said...

It is so amazing to be on the other side of a really tough time because we can fully appreciate what God has done and get a glimpse of the larger picture. It is awesome that He physically healed Cayel but equally awesome that He worked within you (and others around you) and drew you closer to Him. When we let Jesus be our ROCK - He never disappoints us.

Natalie and Wayne's Blog! said...

Wow, a year already. Cayel is an amazing little boy!