Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Happy Father's Day

A couple of days late, I know . . . but I had to post about the greatest and most wonderful daddy in the world (okay, so I may be slightly partial).

Some of you may have heard the saying, “anyone can be a dad, but it takes someone special to be a Father.” That would be Josh, someone special, Cayel’s father.

Three years ago I brought Cayel home from the hospital and as I praised God for the blessing of this beautiful child, my heart broke at the thought of our future or at that point, what seemed like, lack there of. I was alone, a single mother, living in my parents basement, trying to pick up the pieces of an unhealthy and shattered marriage while trying to figure out how to be mommy and daddy all in one. But, during this time of uncertainty I always felt a subtle sense of peace and when I was silent enough I could even hear the voice in the back of my head say, “just trust Me, I have better things in store for you.” What did I have to lose? So trust I did. I picked up the pieces and I started my life. I started my life as a mom, a single mom. I loved Cayel with all of my heart and I vowed to myself, to him and to Him that I would give Cayel the best life I possibly could. I would love him, protect him, educate him . . . I would teach him how to be a wonderful, loving, caring, faithful, devoted, respectful, passionate man in Christ. I would be exactly that, his mommy and his daddy. Little did I know, God had something better in store . . .

Not more than 7 months later, Josh came into Cayel’s life, our life. I wasn’t ready. I wasn’t looking for some knight in shinning armor to come in and play “house” not to mention I had a brick wall greater than the Great Wall of China and to say the least, my situation was just what Josh said he would never do. Not exactly a match made in heaven, or was it? It didn’t take long for my bricks to come crumbling down and for Josh to “pick up my baggage and start unpacking.” We spent many hours on the phone getting to know each other, many trips back and forth between Madelia and Spearfish were made. After about 3 months of getting to know each other, Josh decided it was time to get to know Cayel. And from that day on, he never stopped.

I remember so vividly the first time I saw Josh out the corner of my eye kiss Cayel on the forehead while he was rocking him to sleep and whisper, “I love you buddy.” And I remember even more vividly the day Cayel said, “I love you daddy.” Daddy . . . what a beautiful thing!

Although our situation, our life, our relationship, our family wasn’t what some would say traditional, it was God’s plan and His plan was perfect! Although Josh may not be Cayel’s biological “father” and although his DNA may not be present in Cayel, God still very carefully planned to knit Josh into Cayel’s life in just the right amount of time and in just the right way. His way, the perfect way!

So, Joshua, on your very first official Father’s Day, I want you to know how much we love you! I want you to know that you are the most amazing daddy in the world and that I thank God every single day for blessing us with you, for knitting you so perfectly into our son’s life. You are the most wonderful, loving, caring, giving, supportive and unselfish husband, friend and daddy I have ever in my life met. I pray that as Cayel grows into a man, a husband, a daddy . . . that he is just as wonderful as you! That he is as passionate about life as you are. That he loves the Lord as much as you do. And that he is as faithful to his wife and child as you are.

Happy Father’s Day DADDY!!

1 comment:

Amber said...

What an awesome God we serve!! I love hearing other peoples story because I never tire of seeing HIS awesome power at work.