Tuesday, April 13, 2010

And the turkey season begins...

The last of our turkey hunting company just left this morning and I promised that I would get pictures and stories posted on our blog ASAP...kind of funny that those macho men actually look forward to a post on my blog. I think it's just because they want to see pictures of themselves with their long bearded Toms.

And pictures I have... pictures of everyone else but me, of course. I had to laugh when I went back to read my post from last year's turkey opener and the title was "Not me...but everyone else!" Hmmm...maybe I'm starting some sort of trend?

We had 5 of Josh's friends from Minnesota come out for turkey opener this year. Cayel was gone for the weekend so the house was filled with 5 grown boys and 1 trooper of a dad! I got lots of emails, phone calls and text messages asking if I was crazy and wishing me luck, but to be honest, I had fun! Josh's friends were nice enough to let me tag along with them opening day and I got to experience what they get so excited about. Excited for everything except for my border line hypothermia Saturday morning that is. I'd like to think that I impressed them...dressed in camouflage from head to toe, I loaded my own shot gun and hiked through waist deep snow. And I never complained once. It didn't impress Josh though when I asked for a kiss before we went back out in the afternoon...I guess that isn't cool. Mental note made.

Here's the line up...

This is Nic. He was lucky enough to get his turkey opening morning. He and Josh have been hunting together for years and Josh says that if he wouldn't have held Nic's hand that morning, there would be no picture of Nic with a turkey. I was busy freezing my petunia off in a blind with Chad and Lars so I wouldn't know...Nic, I'll let you take this up with Josh.


This is Josh (aka, Lars). I don't know that there was a special story for his turkey, other than he and Rene enjoyed an all you can eat breakfast buffet in Deadwood before they finally decided to go out and attempt to hunt. Priorities. Love it.


This is Rene (aka Ney to Cayel and Gonzo to the guys). He got his turkey while hunting with Lars. After they filled themselves at the breakfast buffet, they decided to hike some of it off and landed themselves in a pack of turkeys. And as you can tell by the pictures, two of them happened to be Toms.


This would be my hubby and Chad (aka W - not Double U but Dubya - ???). Their story begins with a text message to me at 4:30 Monday morning asking if I could call them when I got up. "Well, I'm up now." So I call Josh and he was whispering, "where exactly did you shoot at that Tom last night and how far away from that, was the other Tom you heard gobbling?" Okay honey, I'll let you in on my secret hunting spot, but only because I love you. A couple of hours later, I get this picture text to me at work.


This is Eric (aka Borass). And I don't have a picture of him with a turkey because well, he didn't get a turkey. Borass was so excited to shoot one with his .30-06, that he missed. He said the turkey was running but Rene begs to differ. Regardless, the guys made sure to rub it in and the joke for the weekend was that he should start using a "splatter gun". I guess that's their version of a shot gun. Even though he didn't get a turkey, he was a trooper and still said, "this is awesome." There might have been a little sarcasm in that statement but I'm not sure :).

And this is me. And no, I don't have a picture either because well, I didn't get a turkey. Only I did use a "splatter gun" to increase my chances of success and still, um, missed. Rene was kind enough to take me out hunting Sunday evening while the other guys went hunting in the Southern Black Hills. He decided to take me to the place that he and Lars had shot their turkeys the day before. We hiked and hiked and hiked. Only I wasn't lucky enough to have had my fill on an all you can eat buffet before the hunt...After a couple of hours of hiking and not a peep, I mean gobble, from a turkey, we decided to call it quits. On our way home Rene decided to try one last spot...He turned off his truck and used his turkey call, expecting to hear nothing. Sure enough, a Tom gobbled back and he was close! Rene whispered to get my shot gun loaded and my face mask on and we started hiking up the ridge. He used his turkey call again but no response from the Tom, we thought for sure that we had spooked him. All of a sudden the Tom gobbled and we could tell he was right by us. Rene told me to go a head of him behind a large tree and wait, as soon as I stood up behind the tree, there he was, not more than 30 yards away - his red head looking right at me. Rene told me to shoot. I was worried about the brush in front of me and didn't feel I had a clear shot but Rene was worried he spotted us and didn't want me to miss the opportunity so, I shot. Rene yelled, "great shot, you got him!" I think he was just trying to be nice because I'm pretty sure I missed. Humph! No turkey, no picture. It was an awesome afternoon though and I was thrilled that Rene was willing to take me out!


It was a fun weekend, one that Josh looks forward to all year! Thanks guys for making the drive out! And thanks for taking me out hunting with you!

2 comments:

Kris Jorgenson said...

Oh Marcy you are such a trooper putting up with those boys!!! Justin was so bummed he could not come! Next year!!! And dont' worry!! Jaime and I will come too!!!!! You won't be sad you missed a turkey because you will have had so much fun pampering with us!!! hahaha.

Amber said...

I had no idea turkey season was in the spring?? Is that normal? Can't you tell I am not a hunter :-)